Containment Level 3 Laboratory
Part of a wider microbiology suite
The Containment Level 3 (CL3) laboratory is a fully contained,
105 m3 sealable laboratory accessed via a lobby, which
has hand washing and changing facilities. The lobby is, in turn,
accessed from the main Microbiology Lab, which operates at
Containment Level 2.
The facility allows us to work with biological agents, including
pathogens, classified in Hazard Group 3. The laboratory also
operates under a Specified Animal Pathogens Order licence, which is
renewed only after periodic inspection.
- Independent air handling system, capable of isolation for
- Negative air pressure in the CL3 lab with respect to the lobby,
and in the lobby compared to the main laboratory to prevent the
release of pathogens.
- Extract air ducts have HEPA filters.
- Walls, floor and ceiling are clad in a continuous vinyl layer
to facilitate cleaning and fumigation.
- Electro-magnetic interlocks so that both lobby doors cannot be
opened at the same time; secure card control on main access.
- Class I microbiology safety cabinet to provide primary
containment during the handling of biohazardous materials.
Work on Group 3 pathogens such as:
- Anthrax bacteria
- Toxic strains of Escherichia coli
- Tuberculosis bacteria
- Hepatitis virus
Our Microbiology Team also has the capability for molecular
detection of pathogens as well as a large and growing library of
surrogate bacteria and viruses available. These are particularly
useful for work on contamination processes and decontamination
Back to the top